1. How do I join the Library?
The library services are meant for registered RUC Students, Staff and Council members. However, other user from the community or Alumni can apply upon request
- How do I borrow a book?
To borrow a book you need a students’ card (P/f no. staff). Borrowing of books is done at the Library counter.
- How many books can I borrow?
Undergraduate students are allowed to borrow a maximum of four books for a maximum duration of two weeks whereas Staff members and Postgraduate are allowed to borrow four books for a maximum of one month.
- What is a short loan book?
They are library books that are on high demand on the reading lists, due to their demand they can only be borrowed for a specific number of hours and used ONLY in the Library.
- Can I take a book out without my student ID card?
No. You cannot be issued with a book unless you have a library card.
- Can a patron with expired library items continue to borrow books?
Accounts of patrons with expired books are automatically locked out by the system. This means that they cannot continue to borrow books until they return the overdue items and further pay the accrued fines.
- How do I know which journals the library has subscribed?
From the library website, go to the e resources tab. You will see a list of all the e-resources databases RUC Library has subscribed to.
- Why are we told to pay for overdue fines?
Overdue charges are meant to discourage library users’ from over staying with Library recourses. It should be noted that it is not a punishment.
- What happens to my account if i happen to lose a Library Item?
Check the Library shelves in case it has been returned then inform the Librarian at the issue desk. If unsuccessful, the Library will assist in making a series of checks to ensure that the book is found. If still not found after one month it will be listed as lost and you will be required to make a replacement for the lost item plus a processing fee of Ksh. 500.00.
- What is the Library opening hours?
The Library is open Mon-Fri 8:00 am – 8:00 pm, Sat 9am – 5pm, and Sunday 1p.m – 5pm. Public holidays the Library is always closed.
- Can we do group work Discussion in the Library?
No. Group discussion in the Library is not allowed as it is likely to cause disturbances to other library users.
- Why are we prohibited from drinking or eating in the library?
There are many reasons why Drinks and food stuff are not allowed in the library;
- Food particles attract insects which can easily cause damage to the Library collection
- Food and drinks when they spill on books are to damage the books
- Food can also cause disturbances to fellow users, either through the noise or smell.
- Why do I have to leave my bag with the security?
Bags are left with the security personnel for security reasons. To avoid any attempt of a library user to try and sneak out with an item that has not been legally authorized to leave the Library.